Portakabin is currently recruiting for a Multi Skilled Operative to join our progressive Hire Division in St Albans. You will use your basic DIY skills such as carpentry, plumbing, painting and electrics in refurbishing and fitting out a range of Portakabin modular buildings to the highest possible standards.
You will play an important role in supporting exciting and high-profile projects. We are proud of our success on Kensington Aldridge Academy, estimated at approx. 7,500m2 and is known as the fastest school ever built! This was an unprecedented project from start to finish and took a record-breaking nine weeks to build.
As a Multi Skilled Operative you will work effectively as part of a team to ensure timescales for completing work are achieved and quality standards reached. You will also be responsible in developing customer relationships in order to provide excellent levels of customer service.
We are looking for a Multi Skilled Operative who lives within a local proximity of St Albans (AL2 2DZ). You will assemble and install manufactured components to agreed design specification and tolerance. This includes the safe handling, moving, installing and finishing to specification and within deadlines under the guidance of a line manager.
Flexibility is required in this role due to the workload of projects and rectifications which are based on and off site.
- Starting salary: £29,527.68 p.a / £14.56 per hour (inclusive of London weighting)
- Opportunity to earn additional hourly rate between £0.22-£3.90 (£466.16 - £7,909.20 p.a) based on skill set and behaviours.
- This is a permanent role, working 39 hours per week, Monday to Thursday 07:45 to 16:30 and finishing early on Friday at 15:30 (including lunch breaks). Overtime is regularly available at an additional premium rate of £21.15 per hour and will considerably increase annual earnings.
- Role based: St Albans, AL2 2DZ
- Contract type: Permanent
- 24 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Plan and undertake the preparation/decoration of all external product surfaces.
- Apply internal finishing such as internal partitions, trims, configure interior layout, painting.
- Carry out basic joinery tasks inclusive of partition walls, doors, windows etc.
- Carry out basic plumbing tasks inclusive of sink and toilet assembly, waste and drainage, copper and push fit fittings etc confirming drawing details.
- Undertake basic electrics inclusive of installing trunking and cable runs, sockets, heaters, lighting etc, supporting in the preparation and first fix, under the supervision of an electrician.
Benefits & Opportunities
- A generous annual leave entitlement of 24 days plus public bank holidays, and the business is closed annually during the Christmas period. We can also buy up to 5 days more annual leave annually.
- Reward packages including our performance rating scheme which is reviewed biannually and length of service awards.
- With family friendly policies, access to contributory pension, life assurance scheme and our employee benefits platform with a range of discounts and cashbacks at your favourite retailers, health clubs and gyms.
- A wide range of health & wellbeing services including Mental Health First Aiders to support you to be at your best inside and outside work. There is also great opportunity for career progression within Portakabin. Roughly one third of our roles are filled by internal candidates!
As innovators in the science of building, we provide modular buildings for hire and sale, as well as supplying refurbished buildings and construction site accommodation. We deliver building solutions for organisations of any size, in sectors ranging from manufacturing, education and health to transport, utilities and construction.
Portakabin remains in the ownership of the York based Shepherd family and now employs more than 2,000 people across ten European countries.
As an equal opportunities employer, Portakabin is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective colleagues. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and perspectives and hire great people to build talented and diverse teams.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments throughout the application, recruitment, and onboarding processes for candidates that require additional support and/or adjustments to be made.