We’re seeking a Product Development Engineer to join our Central Design and Engineering team in York. Working across a multi-functional team, your role will primarily be responsible for designing and developing new products and continuously developing existing products, in accordance with an agreed Product Development programme.
- Salary: £37,000 - £47,000 (Dependent on experience and evidence of meeting role responsibilities)
- Role based: York, YO32 9PT
- Contract type: Permanent
- Annual leave: 25 plus bank holidays
* To design new and develop existing products and accessories in accordance with an agreed Product Development programme.
* To undertake experimental and development work, both in-house and in conjunction with external organisations and independent approval bodies.
* Working with Production Engineering, Logistics and Procurement, develop robust supply chains and effective production processes for the developed design solutions.
* To monitor and control product costs.
* Provide analyses of the developed design solutions across a range of ‘value’ dimensions, e.g. cost, manufacturing efficiency, sustainability.
* Prepare validation documentation such as calculations and test reports for internal and/or external substantiation of the design.
* Provide technical support across the Hire, Sales & European business units.
* Maintain an effective level of knowledge of current technological developments and identify and analyse opportunities for new technologies within the business.
* Maintain an effective level of knowledge of all relevant current and imminent, regulations, standards, and codes of practice.
* Ensure standard products comply with agreed legislative, regulatory, HSE and quality requirements.
Benefits & Opportunities
* Option to buy 5 days of annual leave
* Working flexibly principles
* Contributory pension
* Annual bonus
* A range of dedicated health and wellbeing services
* A chance to give back to your community with an annual Volunteering Day Off
* Fully funded professional qualifications and membership
* Cycle to Work Scheme
* Employee Benefits Program (Discounts at 100s of shops, gyms, restaurants and even holidays!)
* There is also great opportunity for career progression within Portakabin!
Our Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone who has:
* Degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering discipline
* Proficiency in CAD software and other design tools. Preferably Autodesk Inventor.
* Effective development of product platforms and ability to contribute to several concurrent projects
* Execute prototyping, translating design concepts into physical prototypes for testing and validation
* Effective communication and collaboration skills including non-technical audiences
* Produce quality written reports, technical documentation, drawings, and design calculations
* Analyse and document quality, costs, and design for manufacture elements throughout the design process
* Experienced in interpretating and applying product related regulations and standards’
* Exercise sound, practical & pragmatic technical judgement with strong attention to detail’
Even if you do not match all of our ‘ideal’ criteria we would still be very keen to receive your CV as we love developing our people and may feel that you could be developed into this role.
We are conducting interviews during, or before, the week commencing Monday 26th February 2024
As innovators in the science of building, we provide modular buildings for hire and sale, as well as supplying refurbished buildings and construction site accommodation. We deliver building solutions for organisations of any size, in sectors ranging from manufacturing, education and health to transport, utilities and construction.
Portakabin remains in the ownership of the York based Shepherd family and now employs more than 2,000 people across ten European countries.
As an equal opportunities employer, Portakabin is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective colleagues. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and perspectives and hire great people to build talented and diverse teams.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments throughout the application, recruitment, and onboarding processes for candidates that require additional support and/or adjustments to be made.