We currently have an opportunity for a Production Engineer to join the Portakabin business at our Head Office in York. In this role you will be responsible for the implementation and continuous improvement of the production processes used to manufacture the range of Portakabin products. This includes (but is not limited to) the design and installation of jigs and fixtures, specifying and purchasing machinery and equipment, and the implementation of production processes using lean principles which will eliminate waste and improve efficiencies and productivity values. You must be able to manage multiple projects which vary in complexity both as an individual and as part of a team.
- Salary: from £39,000 to £45,000 per annum depends on experience and qualifications
- Role based: York, UK
- Contract type: Permanent
- Annual leave: 25 days of annual leave plus bank holidays
- Support and improve safety, quality, efficiency, and the optimisation of production methods reducing costs and wastes.
- Work with Design & Engineering to introduce innovation and changes smoothly and effectively to designs, materials, technology.
- Investigate and solve safety, quality, and productivity issues by completing failure investigations, risk assessments, standard operating procedures, production line flow and measurement studies.
- Support compliance to health, safety, environmental, quality and employment legislation/ standards.
- Design jigs, fixtures and tooling for assembly tasks which produce the product to the required tolerances.
- Design new systems and processes and provide the methods that ensure the smooth integration of new products or the improvement of existing products within manufacturing operations.
- Generate production documentation and assembly instructions.
- Develop lean principals throughout the manufacturing process which eliminate waste and have a positive impact on manufacturing efficiencies.
- Monitor industry standards and advancements in Production Engineering technology.
- Collect and analyse data, producing reports and presentations as required.
- Research, cost and where required; produce project plans for capital expenditure proposals.
- Project manage the introduction of capital equipment and ensure appropriate validation and testing is completed prior to handing over
Benefits & Opportunities
- Option to buy 5 days of annual leave
- Working flexibly principles
- Contributory pension
- Annual bonus
- A range of dedicated health and wellbeing services
- Employee Assistance Program
- A chance to give back to your community with an annual Volunteering Day Off
- Fully funded professional qualifications and membership
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee Benefits Program (Discounts at 100s of shops, gyms, restaurants and even holidays!)
There is also great opportunity for career progression within Portakabin!
Our Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone who has:
- HNC/HND/Degree in Mechanical / Production Engineering
- Significant experience in a similar role in a manufacturing environment
- Familiar with most assembly and metal fabrication techniques
- Conversant with modern health, safety, environment, and quality standards
- Familiar with working to modern Quality standards
- Delivering efficiency improvement and optimisation
Even if you do not match all of our ‘ideal’ criteria we would still be very keen to receive your CV as we love developing our people and may feel that you could be developed into this role.
As innovators in the science of building, we provide modular buildings for hire and sale, as well as supplying refurbished buildings and construction site accommodation. We deliver building solutions for organisations of any size, in sectors ranging from manufacturing, education and health to transport, utilities and construction.
Portakabin remains in the ownership of the York based Shepherd family and now employs more than 2,000 people across ten European countries.
As an equal opportunities employer, Portakabin is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective colleagues. We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and perspectives and hire great people to build talented and diverse teams.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments throughout the application, recruitment, and onboarding processes for candidates that require additional support and/or adjustments to be made.