Portakabin exists to bring the wonder of modular building to the world.
Creating precision-engineered buildings, we believe that our people are the key to exploring greater possibilities across our industry, thinking beyond products, to solutions and beyond customers, to the people and societies they serve.
With more than 60 years of expertise, decades of growth and a business that has more than doubled since 2012, Portakabin profitability is strong in both the UK and Europe and our future ambition is to continue this compelling track record of growth.
We put our people at the heart of everything we do, and you will experience job security and development opportunities that are rare in the current climate, so why not join us, and be a part of our continuing growth and success?
With exciting future ambitions - we couldn’t think of a better time for you to join us!
About the opportunity
This is a central role leading on the resolution of product quality issues and driving improvement. The role will also assist in the analysis of the companies Quality performance and the interpretation of what is needed to support the overall business strategy as well as partner and support the individual Business Units.
The Quality Engineer will take ownership of Quality related problem solving and process improvement. This involves leading and facilitation as well as hands on activity including:
- Identification, sorting and segregation of non-conforming product
- Inspection of product against drawings and technical specifications
- Investigations to determine the root causes of problems
- Driving corrective actions to conclusion, and verification of process changes to establish whether they are effective
- Completion of measurements, inspections and verification of raw materials, components, assemblies, fitted modules and project works
- Completion of internal, supplier and process audits.
- Coordinating cross-functional problem solving, meetings, minutes and actions.
- Creation of presentation material.
- Completion of Quality related analysis.
- Liaising between departments and business units on Quality related matters.
- Engaging with suppliers and the Supply Chain team
- Completing Quality Reports / Problem Escalations, Concession Documents and supporting others outside of the Quality function in doing the same
- Supporting the development of Quality Management across the business
- Salary: £35,000 - £45,000 per annum depending on experience
- Role based: York, YO32 hybrid working
- Contract type: Permanent
- Annual leave: 25 days plus bank holidays
Benefits & Opportunities
- Option to buy 5 days of annual leave
- Working flexibly principles which offers a fantastic work/life balance
- Contributory pension
- A range of dedicated health and wellbeing services
- Employee Assistance Program
- A chance to give back to your community with an annual Volunteering Day Off
- We offer Company Sponsored Development relevant to role
There is also great opportunity for career progression within Portakabin.
Our Ideal Candidate
We are looking for someone who:
- Works flexibly, supporting colleagues in their roles as priorities change
- Acts as an ambassador for Quality, including training, coaching, sharing best practice and generally supporting at all levels
- Can read drawings, understands geometric tolerancing and has experience of measurement techniques
- Has knowledge of Quality Systems e.g. ISO9001
- Understands problems solving and continuous improvement techniques
- Experience of data collection and analysis
- HNC/HND/Degree in Engineering or equivalent
- A full UK driving licence
- Experience of data analysis and statistical techniques
- Experience of problem solving, root cause analysis and process improvement
Even if you do not match all our ‘ideal’ criteria we would still be very keen to receive your CV as we love developing our people and may feel that you could be developed into this role.
We’re keen to get someone started in this role. If you think this sounds like the ideal job for you, please apply as soon as possible as we may close this job advert early if we receive a high number of applications.
View the role profile here.